Monday, September 17, 2007

Being a Dad (Anger Part II)

You might recall my previous post about anger, this is sort of a continuation of what I wrote here.

I think I have made pretty good progress with controlling my temper since I became a dad a good 2 and half years ago. However, 100% seems to be an impossible feat, especially in a short time period. To paint a picture of my progress consider this scenario, oh and let me mention to you, if you don't know the sort of driver I am, I lived in NJ for the past 7 years...and by far, patience is not characteristic you would use to describe most of the drivers up there.

The scenario is, I am behind a vehicle on a one lane road whose driver is obviously either 90 years old or lost. The person is driving below the speed limit and keeps slowing down randomly, and riding their breaks. Granted, the road is windy, but it is also broad daylight and dry and oh, a beautiful fall day.

3 Years Ago:
First, I start cursing myself for getting into this scenario, but quickly my anger shifts to the car in front of me. This is about the time I assume that the driver is OLD and or a woman (sorry ladies). The on and off breaking and signaling seems to be notching my anger up gradually along with my blood pressure. As you know, we are ALWAYS in a hurry when in the car. At that point I might even begin a verbal assault (mind you, ONLY of course I can hear the beautiful spewings coming out of my mouth) on the driver. Soon becoming and get out of the way you MORON and get off the ROAD you bleepity bleep! When it was clear, if I can, I give a sort of glancing evil eye to the driver and move on...blood pressure resumes normal position.

This Weekend:
The main difference is, I actually try to control my anger and sayings. Mind you, I have a 2.5 year old boy in the car. I am virtually silent except for an "oh brother". If you looked at me, I'd probably have looked calm, though inside I was NOT calm. Finally, after a prolonged period I gave it a "Move out of the way PERSON!". Yes, on paper, not so harmful, but I sort of yelled it.

The impact of all this? Now when we get in the car and someone is in front of us, whether it be at a light, or maybe they are just driving slow, my son yells, "MOVE PERSON!".


-------------------------------------------

So, the boy picks up on my bad habits and sort of stores them in his brain. He then replicates them for our viewing pleasure (and pain). I can only hope that the bad ones are surrounded by good ones (times 10)! I can only hope...

No comments: