Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My Memories of 9/11

I remember this day VERY well. We were living in Piscataway and I was working for AT&T. Nat's mom had passed away 6 months prior. I wasn't going to my regular Piscataway office, but today I was going to meet a consultant whose work i was to be taking over. His funding had been cut.

As I left the house later than usual Natalia mentioned that a plane flew into the WTC. I was walking out the door to work. It sounded as if it was some small private plane. I paid little attention and went on my way. Turned on Scott and Todd (WPLJ in NY) where the story unfolded LIVE on radio. It was COMPELLING radio. I called Nat's best friend Selena who works in WFC but could not get through. I was telling her to turn around and go home, but just left a message. I was concerned that something happen to her because well, Nat's mom having passed so recently, and I couldn't imagine what losing her best friend would add to that.

I got to the office and it was quiet. People had gathered around a conference room that had a tv in it and we were watching things unfold. Then, crazy enough in the middle of it all, I met with this guy to talk about some crazy Access Database he had created. Then they told everyone to go home. By then both towers were down.

Natalia was working in Secaucus (right across the river from NYC) at the time and I was anxiously trying to make sure she was coming home, but cell phones were tough to use in that area. She could see the smoke from the NJ turnpike as she drove home that day. That day led to about 5 days of feeling helpless and not knowing what to do. Not wanting to return to work for some pointless job that doesn't even matter. Not being able to turn off the TV, watching funerals on TV.

I don't think I will ever forget that day and the feeling of, Wow, things are never going to be the same again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rick,
I, too, remember that day very well and think about it often, given I pass the site almost every day. I don't think I ever knew that you were trying to call me...I'm blessed to have such good friends.
Selena