Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Being a Dad (Anger)

When I first became a parent, one thing I quickly realized is, every personal weakness I had was attacked. I can remember sitting with Ryan while he screamed and feeling really angry and frustrated, but thinking, if I am angry and frustrated right now, its not going to help to calm this poor little guy down. Over time my patience got much better, my tolerance for screaming much better, but I realized today that I am still quick to anger.

This has always been evident to me and it something I really try to avoid, but its sort of this thorn in my side. It is becoming more evident as I watch my 2 and a half year old son grow up. I see how quick to anger he is, and I kick myself about it.

I am not as quick to anger with him as I am with our dog Lucy. If Lucy misbehaves, I will shout at her, NO. If she continues to misbehave, I get a bit louder and try to make myself more imposing. This is effective and she is very obedient most of the time. However, the ineffectiveness of this approach is how I am teaching my son to behave in the face of anger and frustration.

Today as we washed my car there was a lot of screaming. I think both Lucy and Ryan have a similar affection for the hose. Ryan loves spraying things, and Lucy LOVES chasing after the water stream. Usually this is a trio made in heavan, but today, we were trying to wash my car. Ryan would spray the car, Lucy would jump in front of the spray, splashing everyone and just behaving like a crazy dog. Ryan would shout NO in sort of a really ear piercing way, which seems to have been audible for miles! After this pattern for an hour I finally got angry and shouted at both of them! Grr....bad daddy!

Immediately, or even as I was shouting, I though, jeez, what the heck do the neighbors think of this poor father shouting at his kid and dog.

So, if you see me quick to anger, feel free to help me with my problem!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey Rick...I just stumbled across your new blogs...very nice! I'm excited (and jealous) you are running again...I want to do a half marathon after this baby is born...like you, I need a goal to get in shape. As for your post today about being quick to anger...I feel the same way many times...there are probably tons of parents who feel the same way! Let me know if you find a trick to overcome it! Running helps...so does counting to 10 or taking deep breathes for me. But yes, both toddlers and dogs have a way of hitting your nerves, don't they?

RICK said...

Thanks Kelly! If I figure it out, I will let you know!!