Monday, October 22, 2007

Being a Dad (Let Him Fall!)

Our family tends to not always fit into traditional roles. I blame the feminist movement for this by the way. However, this is a whole other topic (that I would love to discuss here someday). So, when we do fit into a traditional role, I get excited about it believe it or not! :)

Something I was reading a few months back was talking about the parenting and the differences between a mother and a father. It stated something to the fact that the father is more likely to let a child explore and learn things on his own, while the mother is much more protective and more concerned with not letting the little one get hurt.

This happens so very often in our lives here with Ryan. This might sound odd, but I definitely let him try stuff and get hurt. Not seriously injured, but hey, if you jump from the ottoman (that has wheels) to the floor, your going to fall and bump something. Ryan is really into jumping right now so I will let him jump just about anywhere. To me, this how you learn. This is how I learned. Take a couple knocks on the head, next time you'll be more careful. My approach, warn softly (your going to bump your head on the table if you do that), then I let him decide. This has resulted in bumps and bruises along the way, but I HOPE I am encouraging him to think out his actions at the age of 2, so that at the age of 15 he can do the same.

This example is just one of the things I love about being a dad and having teachable moments (Natalia has to love it to because I don't try to have as many teachable moments with her! ) . What an awesome and amazing responsibility, and I am so thankful for it every day (ok, well, MOST every day).

No comments: