Monday, October 15, 2007

10/15/2007 - run OUCH!

I haven't mentioned this until now but over the last week I have noted a dull pain in both shins when I run, and sometimes a day or so after. Well, its been getting worse, and particularly in my left leg. I am fairly certain this is some sort of shin splints. The pain follows up right along the inside of my left tibia.


So, I am stuck with a bit of a dilemma. Do I stop running and rest, which I *think* is the right approach. However, I am concerned with doing this because I have only 5 months till the CR.

Friday I had my longest run (5.7 miles) in a very long time. I felt great, outside of the dull pain in my left shin. However, all weekend, the pain didn't really ease, and I didn't do any running. When I headed out for a 2.5 mile run today, I made it about .1 miles before I said, forget it, it just hurts too much. I came home and stretched instead.

I am hoping this won't be a setback. Anyone have any medical advise for me?? Anyone?

I should say, I could have run with the pain, and I am willing to do that, but not if the pain is goign to get so bad that by december i am out of commission. btw...this sucks...

1 comment:

Kelly said...

My advice is to take a week off, ice and advil daily. Having been the victim of a stress fracture in my shin (the result of ignoring shin splints), take a break now and then start back slowly over the next couple of weeks. Also, be sure your shoes are in good condition. Don't keep running on them especially if it's hurting as much as it is...a stress fracture takes a lot longer to recuperate from! Good luck!