Wednesday, February 20, 2008

2/18/2008 (Mon) - RUN

What a day, we were pleasantly surprised with a 60 degree day with sun and a breeze! What a great day for a long run I figured!

I trekked out after work, I noticed that it had gotten cloudy. I checked the temperature and man, it had dropped all the way down to 51 and the wind picked up. No big deal, I figured the cold front was probably on its way in. I was planning to run about 8 miles so I knew I would be out long. I grabbed my ear muff things (which also help to keep my ear buds in) and headed out.

Things were going well, it was getting windy though and after about 2 miles I felt a couple drops of rain. Over the next half mile conditions began to worsen as it got colder, windier, and the rain picked up. By mile 3, it was pouring and blowing! It was interesting to say the least, but I kept going. What the heck, I was 3 miles from home, might as well go one more before I head back. So, off I went. By mile 4 my legs were starting to tighten up, I think because of the cold weather and rain, plus it was getting hard to see. Surely this rain had to at least slow down. I think it was motivating me to run a bit faster though.

At about mile 5 and half, my iPod shuffle went out. ARRGHHH. The battery was on the low side when I left, but it hadn't failed me yet. But then things started to turn around. The rain almost stopped, and I had a about 2 miles of gradual downhill to go before the final HELL mile, which consists of two HELL hills. Oh, and my Shuffle came back on! So I was cruising along and it was time for the last mile.

Hell Hill #1, just a brutal winding, probably quarter mile uphill, of which you can't even see the top. Rodney Adkins "If Your Going Through Hell" came on. I took it step by step and made it up no problem, maybe I am actually getting in some shape! But my work wasn't over, I had the final hell hill #2. After feeling pretty good about hell hill #1, I got into my neighborhood, 3/4 mile to go. The rain kicked up, the wind kicked up, and I basically could hardly see as water poured into my eyes. I hit the bottom of hell hill #2 and looked up and decided to attack it. At this point my legs were pretty heavy after running the first 7 miles so attacking it from an outsiders view might have looked quite laughable, not to mention the fool running in the pouring rain and wind persona I was exuding.

Up the hill, Jason Mraz helped me (which song, I can't recall). But I got up and had just one last big downhill and home free! Good news, I made it, soaked to the bone. So far, no sickness!

To me, this felt like a battle! I am glad I stuck it out and ran pretty well in the face of my perceived adversity. My pace is on track for the "less improved and slower rick" and if I can beat 9 minute miles, I think I will be happy with that (though I won't admit it out loud).

Run: Temperature was 51 when I started 42 when I finished, Heavy Rain and Wind.
8.18 Miles
71:50 Minutes - 8:47 mile avg

Total Miles 2008: 48.58 Miles

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Congrats on your run Rick! I'm jealous you are up to 8 miles! How are the shins feeling?

RICK said...

Jealous!? Don't be! :)

Shins are pretty tender (both now) and feel kind of weak. But, I am pushing through it and I think I will be OK for the race!

Thanks for checking in Kelly!