Thursday, December 6, 2007

Runners Update 12/6/2007

Its been a while since I posted...this is because I have no new runs!

Right before Thanksgiving I gave it yet another go but I came home after running about a block. The pain was back in full force. I have not tried to run since then. In fact, I decided to go see my doctor regarding this pain.

Luckily I was able to get in the week after Thanksgiving. He took a look at my leg and my stance and how my leg rested with its weight on it and he determined that I had pretty sever pronation. He couldn't be certain that I had a stress fracture or not, and he requested that I got and get an X-Ray ($$). The X-ray likely would not show a stress fracture, but it might, and if so, it will be treated. Then he suggested I go see the Delaware Foot Doctor (Dr. Ray Feehery) as he ($$$) deals a lot with runners and is a bit of an expert. He has actually treated many of you that read this blog! Unfortunately the cost of going to see him would be all out of pocket because he doesn't participate in our insurance.

So, after thinking about it Natalia and I decided that I would go have the x-ray. We'd probably have to save up to go see the foot doctor. However, I changed my mind. I am taking the money we put aside for the x-ray and buying myself some quality running shoes with motion control for over-pronaters (Asic Gel-Evolution 3). They should arrive tomorrow and I should be out on the road soon. The leg feels good now, no pain whatsoever, so I am hoping that my shin splints have healed, and that I don't have a stress fracture.

After taking a look at my current running shoes, there is no midsole arch support whatsoever. To me, this means, every time I ran in them, they were just twisting away at my Tibia with every step.

So far, I justify these shin splints in my own mind, by these shoes. Why didn't I ever have this injury before? I am counting on it being the shoes. I don't remember what shoes I work in high school and college, but I have to believe that they were far better. I remember buying this last pair based on the appearance. Silly silly Rick...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked Dr Feehery. What do all the ($$) or ($$$)'s mean in your blog writing ? Is it like checkers ?

Unknown said...

Heya. Found your blog while researching Dr. Feehery. It doesn't sound like you personaly have gone to him, but if you have any recommendation of him could you pass it on? He has recommended a pretty serious foot surgery and I'm a bit nervous about it. Thanks!

RICK said...

Hi Tara,
I never went to Dr. Feehery because he is still not covered under my insurance. However, he is pretty famous in Delaware (and the surrounding area) and a lot of people that are runners seem to have gone to him for this or that at some point.

My primary care physician also highly recommended him.

Hope this helps!