Sunday, March 16, 2008

3/9/2008 (Sun) - RUN Ceasar Rodney Half Marathon


(click for larger)

It was race day, a cool 32 degrees with a cold blustery wind. The conditions were not ideal, especially for those spectators who decided to chase us around Wilmington DE and cheer at different points of the race.

Its been one full week since the race and I haven't written about it because I was hoping for some media of the big event. Luckily those facilitating the race and Brightroom photography caught some of the historic moments! At the right is my dad who just crossed the finish line for the 25th (yes 25th) straight year. The middle is Jim who overcame some great adversity in his training to finish about 20 minutes ahead of his goal. I am on the left, and I also finished below my 9 minute per mile goal! All 3 of us had great races and did much better than we had hoped. Attribute that to the race itself, the fact that we were all there supporting one another to those cold souls out there cheering us on! (even the ones less than 4 years of age...)

All in all, it was a great day, and a great culmination of training and talking. I think (I know I am) we are all happy that the day is past and our bodies can begin the healing process. right now for me it seems my dad's sixty some year old body is recovering faster than the thirty year old frame I possess!

Run: Temperature was 32,windy and COLD
13.10
Miles
110:42 Minutes (1 hour 50 min 42 sec) - 8:27 mile avg
Total Miles 2008: 97.61 Miles

My official time is not in the picture, that is the gun time. It took us about 2 minutes to get up to the starting line after the gun sounded.

I personally am very pleased with my 8:27 time. Its only about 10 minutes off my time from when I ran this race both times in my 20's. Thank you hills of southern chester county, and this will be the ONLY time I ever thank you. Makes me believe if I trained just a little harder I could have actually beaten my time from then, but my legs are not in good health.

Both of my shins are in rather poor shape at this point. I think it might be worth it to have an x-ray if I weren't too darn cheap to pay for one. So, hopefully they will start to feel better in the next week or so. I have not run since the race and don't plan too until they feel a little better.

As for whats next, who knows. The real challenge will be whether or not I can stay fit without a real training goal and without being able to run. Wish me luck!

No comments: